LESSON 35 | Fiqh | The Jumuah (Friday) Prayer (Part-2)
Saturday 12 Aug 2017
Chapter of Prayer: The Jumuah (Friday) Prayer (Part-2)
- Brief recap of last lesson
- It is permissible to speak before, after and in between the two parts of the Khutbah provided it is not about worldly matters
- The khutbah is very important as it has the mentioning of the Quran, hadith and reminder about Allah, it is not just a general talk but rather one that should be given importance
- When the khutbah is going on, if the Khateeb mentions punishments, is it permissible for people to say “a’udhubillaah” or make Dua loudly seeking protection and vice versa for paradise ?
- Talking during the Khutbah ruins the reward for such a person
- Jumuah is an independent obligation, not just a swap for Dhur
- Jumuah is better and more emphasised than Dhur
- There is a punishment for the one who abandons the Jumuah
- Jumuah prayer is obligatory upon all muslim males who are able, free (not a servant), of the age of responsibility and resident (not a traveller)
- Jumuah prayer is not obligatory upon women, however if they do attend they will get the reward for it.
- The same is for the other types of people (e.g. an ill person or traveller who still attends a Jumuah)
- These exceptions on obligatory Jumuah (e.g. women, traveller, ill person) is to make it easy for them, if they wish they can attend and get the reward
- It is makrooh (disliked) to start a Journey during Zawaal time (i.e. the zenith/meridian, when the sun is in middle of sky) just before Jumuah enters if one cannot pray on his way
- Conditions of the Jumuah prayer
- That the time of Jumuah must have entered, Jumuah time starts when the Zawaal (zenith/meridian) time finishes and the Jumuah time ends when the Asr time enters (Question: Is it permissible to pray the Jumuah prayer before the Zawaal time? [difference of opinion]
- Must be resident (Question: what about nomads/gypsies?)
- You must have caught at least one full rak’ah to be considered as having joined the Jumuah prayer (e.g. if you miss the first rak’ah, then catching the second and making up for first is sufficient for your Jumuah). If you catch less than one rak’ah then you missed the Jumuah prayer and must intend to pray dhur when joining the congregation
- Must have the Khutbah with the Jumuah (Question: Eid Khutbah)
- Certain parts of the Khutbah must be present such as praise upon Allah, Quran ayah, prayers and salutations upon the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) etc.
- A statement from Ibnul-Qayyim regarding the Prophet’s (صلى الله عليه وسلم) Khutbah and how the people later introduced innovations into it
- Some of the people who give Khutbah make their khutbah like an assignment (wordy, worthless) which degrades it
- Some khateeb deliver khutbahs which are not suitable topics, issues which will not benefit the people (e.g. political issues)
- A reminder and advice for those who give khutbahs (deliver sermons) to follow the path of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم)
- Advice from Ibnu Taymiyah regarding what is needed in the khutbah in order for it to have impact on the people
- Sunnah aspects of the Khutbah and Jumuah Prayer
- It is the sunnah to do the Khutbah on the mimbar
- It is also Sunnah that the Khateeb should give salaam to the attendees when he arrives and to sit and wait on the mimbar until the mu’adhin finishes the adhaan (hadith)
- It is from the Sunnah for the Khateeb to sit between the two parts of the khutbah (hadith)
- It is mentioned by some scholars that it is Sunnah for the Khateeb to lean on a walking stick/ or stick
- The Khateeb should look ahead/forwards direction, not looking left or right
- The Khateeb should make the khutbah moderately brief, not excessively long (some narrations mention the Khutbah of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) at the maximum was 20 minutes)
- The Khateeb should raise his voice
- It is also mentioned the Khuteeb should make dua for the Muslims and the Muslim ruler (an abandoned Sunnah these days)
- The prayer should be established straight away after the Khutbah
- The Jumuah prayer should be 2 rak’ahs, the chapters to be read should be
- Surah Al-Jumu’ah (“Friday”) in first rak’ah and Surah Al-Munafiqun (“The Hypocrites”) in second [Hadith of Abu Hurairah, narrated by Muslim]
- OR Surah Al-A’laa (“The Most High”) in first rak’ah and surah Ghaashiyah (“The Overwhelming Event”) in second rak’ah
- Questions and Answers
- Is it permissible for on person to do the Khutabh and another person to lead the prayer?
- Is it a necessity that Jumuah Prayer be performed in the mosque? Can it be done in the work place?
- What is the ruling on decorated sticks for the khateeb?
- +many more
- At the end of the Lesson a sister took the Shahaadah! May Allah reward her and make her life fulfilling as a Muslim
Next Week Insha Allah: The Eid (Festival) Prayers
Trackback from your site.