Sun 14 Jul 2019
- On the authority of Abu Dharr Jundub ibn Junadah, and Abu Abdur-Rahman Muadh bin Jabal (may Allah be pleased with them both), that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “Fear Allah wherever you may be, and follow up an evil deed with a good deed it will wipe it away, and behave with the people with good manners.” [At-Tirmidhi]
- The explanation of this hadith is split into 5 parts
- Recap of previous lesson
- This hadith has within it the foundations of interacting with Allah, other people and yourself
Part 3: The statement of the Prophet (ﷺ) “and follow up an evil deed with a good deed it will wipe it away”
- The Statement of the Prophet “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of the sinners are the repentant” [Tirmidhi]
- People who believe that Allah will never forgive them
- Hope for the one who sinned
- How are sins cleansed from a person??
- Allah says: “And perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), at the two ends of the day and in some hours of the night [i.e. the five compulsory Salat (prayers)]. Verily, the good deeds remove the evil deeds (i.e. small sins). That is a reminder (an advice) for the mindful (those who accept advice). ” [Surah Al-Hûd (Prophet Hûd) verse 114]
- Why was this verse revealed?
Part 4: The statement of the Prophet (ﷺ) “and behave with the people with good manners”
- A person should treat others as he wishes to be treated
- What is the evidence of this from the Sunnah?
- This does not mean treating others according to their desires but rather that which is best for them
- Statement of Imam Rajab (may Allah have mercy on him)
- Not letting harm reach others
- Exceptional circumstances
- Recap: what are the 4 foundations of good manners?
- What if you have been raised in a difficult environment?
- Is this (i.e. pursuing good character and manners) worth it?
Part 5: Summary of Benefits
- 1. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) would offer complete and perfect advice to his Ummah
- 2. Have fear of Allah in all states, places and all times
- 3. Encouragement to follow up evil deeds with good deeds
- 4. Good deeds wipe away evil deeds
- 5. Encouragement to interact with other people with good manners
- On the authority of Abul Abbas Abdullah bin Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: One day I was sitting behind the Prophet (ﷺ) [riding on the same mount] and he said to me, “O young man, Indeed I shall teach you some words: Be mindful of Allah and He will safeguard you. Be mindful of Allah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, then ask Allah [alone]; and if you seek help, then seek help from Allah [alone]. And know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, they would not benefit you except with something that Allah had already prescribed for you. And if they were to gather together to harm you with anything, they would not harm you except with something that Allah had already prescribed against you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried.” It was related by At-Tirmidhi, who said it was a good and sound hadeeth. Another narration, other than that of Tirmidhi, reads: “Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you. Acquaint yourself with Allah in times of ease and prosperity, and He will remember you in times of adversity. And know that what has passed you by was never going to befall you, and what has befallen you was never going to pass you by. And know that victory comes with patience, and relief comes with affliction, and with hardship comes ease.”
- The explanation of this hadith is split into 8 parts