Sat 21 Sep 2019
Lesson 8: The Danger of Shirk
Recap of last lesson
- Story of Nūh (may peace be upon him)
- The prohibition of picture making
The Deception of Shaytan (Satan)
- Shaytan uses people’s emotions, ignorance and even sometimes goodwill against them so that they commit shirk
- How Shaytan used the People of Nūh’s love for their pious deceased to lead them to commit shirk
- Shaytan’s long term plan
- The statement of Ibnul Qayyim
Methods of Shaytan in calling people to commit Shirk
- Convincing people that they should commit shirk out of love and respect for the deceased pious person, this is the most common misguidance afflicting the Sufia
- Associating power with the celestial bodies such as the sun, moon and stars
- Attaching significance and worshipping various objects:
- Human beings (either alive or dead)
- The Angels
- The great error of abandoning the worship of Allah alone and instead going to worship various things as Shaytan commands them
- What does Allah say in the Qur’an about this?
- What did the Prophet (ﷺ) say about this?
- Division among the grave worshippers, sufia and polytheists
- The sufi “shaykhs” who are made as lords by their followers (“mureeds”) and exaggerated, making their own rulings which Allah did not legislate. They do not have any evidence from the Qur’an or Sunnah, rather their Shaykh determine for them what to do
- This is how the shaytan (satan) has played around with Mankind and there is no salvation from this except by the Tawheed of Allah (Singling Him out for Worship) and following the Qur’an and Sunnah
Protect yourself from Shirk :
- You must stay away from the causes of Shirk and those things that lead to Shirk
- Shirk is the greatest of sins and Allah informed us that he will NOT forgive the one who does not repent from shirk and dies upon it
- Because Shirk is so severe, then every Muslim needs to have a great precaution and fear from it, no one should treat it lightly as it is the most evil and ugliest of matters
- Allah said: “And (remember) when Luqman said to his son when he was advising him: “O my son! Join not in worship others with Allah. Verily, Joining others in worship with Allah is a great Zulm (wrong) indeed”” [Surah Luqmān verse 13]
- Why is shirk so evil?
- The Prophet (ﷺ) warned the companions against shirk and closed and blocked all of the pathways leading to it
- The misguidance of those who fell into shirk
- Some people say that we should not focus on Tawheed or Shirk and rather we should speak about politics, wars, corruption, etc, is this correct?
- Many sufis chant “Allah” repeatedly in their circles, is there any evidence for this? Was this done by the Prophet (ﷺ)