Sun 10 Mar 2019
Lesson 22: Hadith 14
–Summary of benefits of Hadith 13
Hadith 14: Sanctity of the Muslim life and causes of its nullification
- On the authority of Ibn Masood (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, “The blood of a Muslim is not permissible (to spill) except by one of three [instances]: the married person who commits adultery, a soul for a soul, and the one who forsakes his religion and separates from the community.” [Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
- Ibn Rajab mentions other punishment like sodomy, intercourse with animals and the one who denies the ruling of the prayer.
Part 1: The Muslim Ruler
- This is judicial law only under the authority of a Muslim ruler, not the muslim citizens under his authority or Muslims living in a non Islamic country.
Part 2: The legislation of the Creator as opposed to the creation
- Allah’s Legislation is based upon His Wisdom and Justice, which can never be fully understood by the intellect of mankind.
- Example of a car maker, the customer may not understand why certain parts are laid out in they way they are, yet he accepts that this lack of understand does not mean that the engineering is flawed or incorrect, rather the customer accepts the wisdom of the car maker
- The Legislation of Allah is based on His Wisdom, His Justice and His Mercy
- Therefore we submit and recognise the law of Allah
Part 3: The requirements of capital punishment
- The Punishments have extremely difficult requirements to be met and applied
- 4 trustworthy witnesses to have seen the act of penetration.
- If one of the four witnesses rejects his testimony as a lie, then all four witnesses are publicly lashed and their testimonies are rejected forever.
- Any group less than four cannot pass a testimony for witnessing penetration or proclaim publicly to other who haven’t witnessed the crime. This act itself can result in corporal punishment for the individual.
Part 4: What is the purpose/benefit of capital punishment?
- A deterrent of the crime in that society and bringing security and stability
Next Lesson: A discussion regarding the law surrounding Apostasy