Saturday 1 July 2017
Chapter of Prayer: Duties of the Imam
The Imam has a great responsibility and this position has a great station in Islam.
- It is permissible to seek to be imam Provided one is qualified
- The Imam should take into account the situation of those who pray behind him and avoid making things difficult for them
- When leading the prayer in congregation, the Imam should lighten it for the people [hadith] as some of those praying may be ill, or weak, or have needs to fullfil
- This means making the prayer light whilst still perfecting its constituent parts (its rukoo’, sujood etc..)
- The least perfection is to say subhaana rabiyal a’laa or subhaana rabiyal adheem 3 times
- The Prophet used to prolong or lighten the prayer depending on the situation
- The Imam should not shorten it so much that the people behind him can not do the Sunnah acts.
- When praying individually he can make it as long as he wishes
- It is Sunnah to recite the Qur’an in its proper manner.
- He should prolong the first rak’ah so that it is longer than the second.