Sunday 18 Mar 2018
Lesson 9: To Love Allah with all the heart, different types of love, and a statement of Imam Muqbil
- Recap of Lesson 8:
- Shaikh Muhammad Amaan Al-Jaami’s advise on how to prepapre for death
- Balancing between love, fear and hope
- The example of how physical light illuminates a room and expands the vision, likewise the light of Eemaan expands the chest. The opposite is also true
- Ibn Al-Qayyim says from among the means of bringing about relaxation of the Chest is “Al-‘Ilm”;The Religious Knowledge.
- Essential vs supererogatory knowledge
- Ibn Al-Qayyim says from among the means of bringing about relaxation of the Chest is Inaaba (turning to Allah in repentence) and to love Allah with all your heart;
- To love Allah such that your heart does not love anyone else alongside him
- NOTE 1: Love is of two types. Loving for the sake of Allah and Loving someone alongside The latter is prohibited as it is Shirk (associating partnes with Allah) and this nullifies one’s Islam.
- NOTE 2: Besides the above two types of Love, there is also the love that comes from the natural inclination someone has e.g. for his/her family, their wealth etc. However, this type of love is not considered Shirk as long as it is not submissiveness and humility
- NOTE 3: Love for the sake of Allah is a righteous deed, and Loving the awlia (allies) of Allah is considered good, however we do not call the awlia of Allah those sufi leaders who claim to have “Kashf” (pretend to know the unseen), or those who instruct their followers to make dhikr a thousand times in one sitting, or those who believe they have control over the affairs of the world etc. We find that sufi followers love their Imams with submissiveness and humility
- NOTE 4: It is better to love the one who is a faasiq from the people of sunnah than the worshipper from the people of innovation