Read by our brother Abu Muadh Taqweem
- Is it permissible to believe in Astrology?
- What about reading horoscopes?
- Allah created the stars with 3 purposes, what are they?
- How to safeguard your Aqeedah
Different forms of Astrology
- Some people believe that the stars or celestial bodies have in themselves power to affect us in our lives, this is Shirk. Why?
- Others believe that the stars and their movement or patterns are connected to occurences on earth or in human affairs
What is allowed?
- Simply knowing about the stars, their movement and patterns etc is not a problem
- For example using the North Star for navigation or using the moon and its cycles is permissible
- The problem is when a person believes that the stars or other celestial bodies impact events here on earth
- To claim to have access to knowledge of the unseen (e.g. the future) via these horoscopes or star signs is a form of Shirk (polytheism) as only Allah alone has access to this knowledge
- Likewise, if a person believes someone who claims this, then this contradicts and opposes the tawheed of a person
- Examples of shirk from astrology
- Imam Bukhari records the hadith of Qataadah (may Allah be pleased with him) who states that Allah created the stars for 3 reasons:
- As beautification for the heavens
- As missiles against the shayateen (devils)
- As sign posts for navigation
- What did Qataadah (may Allah be pleased with him) say about the one who seeks anything beyond this?
- Shaykh Salih Al-Fawan state
Other permissible uses of the Stars
- For example determining the direction of the Qiblah, this is done by experience
The importance of correct Aqeedah
- The greatest thing a Muslim has is his or her Aqeedah (core creed) as you salvation and happiness in this life and the next lies within and depends upon having a correct aqeedah
- Therefore one must strive to avoid all those things which oppose your aqeedah
- How can you safeguard your aqeedah
- There are many deviated sects amongst the Muslims these days, especially among the Sufis, who legislate that which Allah has not made permissible and even call towards Shirk
- What is meant by the word “ta’thir” when speaking about the stars?
- What about weather forecasts?
- What about palm signs?
- If an eclipse occurs and someone associates that with death por
- What about reading into star signs just out of curiosity?
- Can someone rely on current scientific knowledge?
- What if someone attributes their behaviour to a star constellation?
- What about gut feeling? Should I pay close attention to that? Should I act on it even without evidence?
- What about global warming?
- In the Qur’an it is mentioned that only Allah knows what is within the womb of the mother, but these days we have ultrasound scans, what has been said about this?
- Some people attribute shooting stars to missiles against devils, is this the case?