Sat 23 Nov 2019
Read by Abu Muadh Taqwee
Recap of previous lesson
- What types of love are there?
- What type of love is for Allah only?
- Allah says: “Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight are dearer to you than Allah and His Messenger, and striving hard and fighting in His Cause, then wait until Allah brings about His Decision (torment). And Allah guides not the people who are Al-Fasiqun (the rebellious, disobedient to Allah).” [Surah At-Tawbah (The Repentance) verse 24]
- What does this verse mean?
Signs that you love Allah
- Whoever loves Allah will give priority to that which Allah loves over as above what he or she loves themselves. What does this mean?
- The one who loves Allah will follow his Messenger (ﷺ) in that which he came with, will do what he commanded and stay away from what he prohibited. What is the evidence for this?
- The test in the Qur’an
- What about the one who claims to love Allah, but abandons what is in the Qur’an and ignores the Sunnah of His Messenger (ﷺ)?
- What are the fruits gained from loving of Allah?
- What is the essence of the matter? Q
- Allah says: “O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion (Islam), Allah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the Way of Allah, and never afraid of the blame of the blamers. That is the Grace of Allah which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knower.” [Surah Al-Māidah (The Table spread with food) verse 54] Q
- Four signs are mentioned in this verse about those who love Allah, what are these?
Ibnul Qayyim: Means to bring about love for Allah
- Ibnul Qayyim (may Allah have mercy upon him) mentioned 10 things which bring about love for Allah:
- 1. The recitation of the Qur’an with focus, understanding and pondering of what Allah says and of its meaning
- 2. To seek closeness to Allah through the optional acts (after the obligatory acts)
- 3. Consistently being upon the remembrance of Allah in all your affairs
- 4. That you give precedence to what Allah loves over what you love if a clash occurs
- 5. To ponder over the Names and Attributes of Allah
- 6. To ponder over and focus on the blessings of Allah, whether apparent or hidden, and to witness the great kindness and generosity Allah has. Bestowed upon you
- 7. That you recognise your perverted before your Lord
- 8. To be in isolation with Allah (what does this mean)
- 9. To sit with the people of righteousness (and avoid bad companionship)
- 10. To distance yourself from anything that causes an obstacle between your heart and Allah