Sat 3rd Aug 2019
Lesson 4: Monotheism, the misguidance of Atheism, and balance in the Religion
Oneness of Allah in his Lordship:
- The vast majority of mankind in the past and in the present accept the existence of a Creator and sustainer
- Very few people in the history of human beings actually believe in atheism
- From among the arguments that atheists use:
- The claim the world came into existence “by natural causes”, “by mother nature”, or that nature caused itself
- That non-living forces such as the wind or lightning created living organisms
- That we evolved from animals or that we are only driven by a need to reproduce
- How do we know this is false?
Singling out Allah in his Worship:
- Tawheed Al-Uluhiyya
- The misguidance of those who make dua to other than Allah, for example “Oh such and such Shaykh, give me such and such” or make dua through them to Allah. This is incorrect
Love, Hope and Fear:
- Importance of being balanced between hope and fear of Allah
- We do not go into extremes in any of these things
- The misguidance of the Sufis who exaggerate in their love of Allah and perform acts which are against the Sunnah of the Prophet (ﷺ)
- The misguidance of the Khawarij who exaggerate in the fear of Allah and oppose that which is in the Qur’an and Sunnah
- The innovators who went into extreme in their hope in Allah (the Murji’ah) and opposed what the Prophet (ﷺ) taught us
- Ahlus-Sunnah do not exaggerate in any of them, rather we balance between Love for Allah, Hope in Allah and Fear of Him
- The statement of Ibnul Qayyim and the example of the bird
The Objective of our Existence
- Our purpose in our life is to worship Allah
- Allah says: “And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): “Worship Allah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taghut (all false deities, etc.i. e. do not worship Taghut besides Allah).” Then of them were some whom Allah guided and of them were some upon whom the straying was justified. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied (the truth).” [Surah An-Nahl (The Bee) verse 36]
- The unfortunate negligence in the Muslim Ummah about Tawheed Al-Uluhiyyah (Oneness of Allah in His Worship) where they make dua to other than Allah, they seek intercession and call upon the dead etc
- It is obligatory upon the Scholars is that the reject and warn against this shirk
- What some Muslims are doing today is the same as
- Allah says: “Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allah only. And those who take Auliya’ (protectors and helpers) besides Him (say): “We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allah.” Verily, Allah will judge between them concerning that wherein they differ. Truly, Allah guides not him who is a liar, and a disbeliever.” [Surah Zumar (The Groups) verse 3]
- Allah says: “And they worship besides Allah things that hurt them not, nor profit them, and they say: “These are our intercessors with Allah.” Say: “Do you inform Allah of that which He knows not in the heavens and on the earth?” Glorified and Exalted be He above all that which they associate as partners with Him!” [Surah Al-Yunus (Jonah) verse 18]
- Throughout history people have been opposed to this type of Tawheed, i.e. Oneness of Allah in his Worship
- Allah says: “And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allah as rivals (to Allah). They love them as they love Allah. But those who believe, love Allah more (than anything else). If only, those who do wrong could see, when they will see the torment, that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is Severe in punishment.” [Surah Al-Baqarah (The Cow) verse 165]
- Shaykh Al-Fawzan’s advice to the Scholars and leaders of the Muslims
- Anecdote from a Poem
Relationship between the first and second type of Tawheed:
- What is the connection between Tawheed Ar-Rububiyya (Oneness in the Lordship of Allah) and Tawheed Al-Uluhiyya (Oneness in the worship of Allah)
- What about those who say these classifications of Tawheed were not mentioned by the Sahabah?
- What about those who add a fourth type of Tawheed?
- What about those who belittle the study of Tawheed and Aqeedah?
- Is a mother allowed to hit her child?