Ramadhan Lesson 1
Sat 6 April 2019
Lesson 1: Introduction
- We will be covering the book Umdatul Ahkam, chapter of Fasting insha Allah using the explanation of Sh Al-Fawzan and Sh Al-’Uthaymeen
Chapter of Fasting
- What does the word “As-Siyaam” (Fasting) mean?
- Linguistically it means to hold back from something
- In terms of the Sharia, then As-Siyaam (Fasting) is to hold back from everything which breaks your fast, with an intention, from the entry time of Fajr up until the time of Maghrib
- The importance of intention
- When was Fasting obligated upon the Prophet (ﷺ)?
- How many Ramadhans did the Prophet (ﷺ) fast?
- Was fasting prescribed for the nations before the Prophet (ﷺ)?
- Hadith of abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him)
- The Prophet (ﷺ) forbade fasting a day or two days immediately before Ramadhan
- For example, some people may say “Ramadhan starts tomorrow, but I will start today just in case the moon is missed”
- Why is this prohibited?
- How is the start of Ramadhan Determined?
- Sighting the moon
- What happens if there is doubt on the 29th of Sha’ban and the moon is not seen?
- Fasting a day or two immediately prior to Ramadhan is prohibited, however there is an exception to this, what is it?
- Hadith of Abdullah Ibn Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both)
- The Prophet (ﷺ) commanded that when the new moon (of Ramadhan) is seen, then fast, and when the new moon (of Shawwaal) is seen, then end the fast (Eid), and if it is obscured then estimate
- What does this mean?
- Does every Muslim have to personally see the moon before he/she starts fasting? What if only one or two Muslims saw the moon?
- What does “estimate” mean?
- Are moon calculations/mathematical models/predictions (e.g. from Nasa or BBC weather reports) allowed to be used to determine when Ramadhan starts?
- Question: if a Muslim sees the moon, does he have to report it to the Muslim authority near him? Does he have to take a testimony?
- Question: what if two Muslim countries sight the moon at different times? Is there a difference of opinion on this? Do they fast seperate days or together?
- Question: what about some muslims who, even when the moon is seen, they reject this due to sectarian reasons?