Authentic Adhkar: Lesson 23
Sat 8th Sep 2018
Lesson 23: Seek forgiveness, be persistent, remember Allah in times of ease, he will be with you in times of difficulty
- The importance of seeking forgiveness from the sins you have committed and make repentance before making your dua for indeed the accumulation of sins is one of the reasons why your dua may not be answered.
- Some of the salaf used to say do not think that the answer to your dua is being delayed whilst you yourself have blocked the dua from being answered due to sins
- There is also some poetry written about this, what does it say?
- On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him): “The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, “Allah the Almighty is Good and accepts only that which is good. And verily Allah has commanded the believers to do that which He has commanded the Messengers. So the Almighty has said: “O (you) Messengers! Eat of the tayyibat [all kinds of halal (legal) foods], and perform righteous deeds.” [23:51] and the Almighty has said: “O you who believe! Eat of the lawful things that We have provided you.” [2:172]” Then he (saws) mentioned [the case] of a man who, having journeyed far, is disheveled and dusty, and who spreads out his hands to the sky saying “O Lord! O Lord!,” while his food is haram (unlawful), his drink is haram, his clothing is haram, and he has been nourished with haram, so how can [his supplication] be answered?” [Muslim, also found in the 40 Hadith of Imam Nawawi]
- Performing impermissible (Haraam) actions can be a means that prevents your dua from being Answered.
- Likewise abandoning the obligations may also lead to dua not being answered
- Therefore, whoever wishes for Allah to answer his dua and bring his hopes into fruition then it is upon him to repent to Allah with a sincere repentance from his sins
- There is no sin too great for Allah to forgive
- Neither is there any need which is too great for Allah to answer
- Indeed the Propehts and Messengers (may peace be upon them Allah) used to encourage their people to seek forgiveness.
- “”I said (to them): ‘Ask forgiveness from your Lord; Verily, He is Oft-Forgiving;” [Surah Nūh (Noah) verse 10]
- “’He will send rain to you in abundance;” [Surah Nūh (Noah) verse 10]
- “’And give you increase in wealth and children, and bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers.”” [Surah Nūh (Noah) verse 10]
- Therefore making repentance is a cause for the goodness to descend and for blessing to continue and for dua to be answered
- What did the the Khalif ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattab used to do when asking Allah for rain?
- What was the advice Al-Hasan Al-Basri gave the people when they complained to him about various issues?
Next part: To persist with your dua
- Ait is from the good mannerisms and etiquettes of making dua that you remain persistent when making dua
- The duas found in the dua are usually very comprehensive
- Some examples of comprehensive dua from the Sunnah
Next part: Be close to Allah in times of ease and he will be with you in times of difficulty
- Recap of important mannerisms
- Importance of
- Importance of seeking forgiveness and making repentance before making dua
- To be persistent
- You should not be making dua to Allah only in times of difficulty, rather be upon the remembrance of Allah at all times and make dua that when you are in a state of ease that Allah continues this for you
- It is upon a Muslim to make dua in ALL circumstances
- Remember Allah in times of ease and he will be with you in times of hardship
- Abu Hurairah [may Allah be pleased with him] narrated that:”The Messenger of Allah said: “Whoever wishes that Allah would respond to him during hardship and grief, then let him supplicate plentifully when at ease.” [Jami` at-Tirmidhi]
- The polytheists would only be calling upon Allah in times of difficulty and we as Muslims should be different to them
Next week insha Allah: Raising your hands when making dua