Remedying the Heavy and Tight Chest: Lesson 8
Sunday 11 Mar 2018
Lesson 8: Importance of having a Balance between Fear and Hope, Knowledge expands the chest
- Recap of Lesson 7:
- Signs of a person having the noor of Eemaan in their heart
- What did Shaikh Muhammad Amaan Al-Jaami say about preparing for death
- How the companions and Salaf would take their self into account
- Ibn Al-Qayyim said that the believer has good opinions about his brothers and sisters (Husnudhan), but holds negative opinion regarding himself (Suu’udhan), this is so that he does not become complacent and content with his actions.
- Shaikh Muhammad Amaan Al-Jaami mentions to us the importance of having a balance between fear and hope
- This is one of the ways of preparing for death
- We have hope in the mercy of Allah and also fear his punishment
- What will happen if one has just fear of Allah and no hope?
- What about a person who has nothing but hope for Allah’s mercy and has no fear, “Allah will forgive me whatever I do”
- What is the measuring stick for having fear of Allah, how does one know if his fear of Allah is lacking or extreme?
- The criteria are the companions of the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم)
- At the time of death what did Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) say on his deathbed?
- What did ‘Amr bin Al-‘as (may Allah be pleased with him) say on his deathbed?
- Ibn Al-Qayyim mentions the principal cause of expanding the chest, i.e. Tawhid
- NOTE: when we mention “Noor (light)” we do not refer to what the Sufis talk about when they say “noor”, rather we are referring to the Noor (light) of Eemaan.
- NOTE: Where did Shaikh Muhammad Amaan Al-Jaami deliver this talk?
- The light of Eemaan illuminates and relaxes the heart just as how the physical light relaxes a person as it expands his vision whereas darkness creates unease
- The stronger that the Noor of Eemaan is, the greater the relaxation and expansion of the heart
- Ibn Al-Qayyim says from among the means of bringing about relaxation of the Chest is “Al-‘Ilm”, The Knowledge.
- Shaikh Muhammad Amaan Al-Jaami comments that when Ibn Qayyim says “Knowledge”, he uses the definitive article “Al-(The)”, therefore the meaning of this statement is Knowledge of the Religion is intended, not any knowledge.
- Why is this the case? Why is this Knowledge special?
- Just as knowledge brings about relaxation to the chest, Ignorance regarding this knowledge of the Religion brings about tightness’ of the chest. This is because one who is ignorant of the religion does not know about Allah, the rights of Allah, who the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is, the manners of how to deal with other Muslims and with the non-Muslims and how to live life. Therefore, he follows anyone and everyone and so becomes a “yes-man” to whomever calls to him and remains ignorant of the essential parts of his religion. This type of person who has no knowledge and seeks no knowledge, he may eventually take a right which belongs only to Allah and give it to other than Allah (Shirk).
- NOTE: The knowledge being discussed here is the “Essential” and mandatory knowledge which a Muslim has no excuse to be ignorant of. We are not intending by this Arabic grammar, or detailed fiqh, but rather we are talking about knowledge which Every Muslim must know, knowledge of Allah, his Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم), the pillars and their rulings, rulings regarding marriage and other things which may affect a person and the Aqeedah which is essential. For example, see “The Three fundamental principles” and “The Book of Tawhid” by Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Abdulwahhaab, these books are short and easy to memorise.
- Whoever is ignorant regarding these essential matters then his/her Islam is in risk
- It is from Foolishness to not be keen to seek knowledge, especially in these days of ours. Unlike the prior days of old, Knowledge is readily accessible and the need for it is great. We have a great blessing of having knowledge available to us and we should be thankful for that and benefit from it.
- Ibn Al-Qayyim says the more knowledge the slave acquires, the relaxed and expansive his/her chest
- If a person wishes to learn even more, e.g. matters such as fiqh and more detailed knowledge of the religion, then his chest becomes even more expanded
- NOTE: The above does not mean that studying fields such as Mechanics, IT, health etc is prohibited
- Regarding having positive thoughts about Muslims as a default, what about if one knows an individual who is an known deviant.
Trackback from your site.