Revising for Ramadhaan | Lesson 4
Saturday 27 May 2017 – Lesson 4
- Brief recap of previous Lessons
- Who are the people who must fast? (see Lesson 1 for more detail)
- Who is allowed to miss Fasting? (see Lesson 3 for more detail)
- Traveller Recap
- The one who has the ability vs the one who does not?
- Making the choice whether or not to fast as a traveller if one is able
- When does the traveller have to make up the fast (max one year)
- What happens if you haven’t made it up even after one year (feed one poor person for every day missed and seek forgiveness)
- Making up missed fasts first before doing the 6 days of Shawwaal
- Hadith of Aisha (radiallaahu Anhaa) making up her fasts
- What happens if a person dies not having made up missed fasts?
- Difference of opinion about if a person can make up fasts on behalf of a deceased who had days left to be fasted
- Hadith mentioning the above and the opinion in favour
- Opinion that it is not permissible to fast on someone else’s behalf
- Third opinion, that obligatory fasts (e.g. Fasting for Ramadhaan) cannot be fasted on behalf of someone else, but optional fasts (e.g. due to a vow) are allowed
- Some scholars say fasting on behalf of deceased for an obligatory fast is not permissible but feeding the poor on their behalf is allowed
- Question from attendees regarding story of one companion
- When Ramadhaan finishes, are there other opportunity to fast
- There are 3 main acts of worship during Ramadhaan; Fasting, Quran recitation, and prayer
- When Ramadhaan finishes, the opportunity to carry out these good acts do not stop
- g fasting on day of Arafah, day of Ashura, fasting Mondays and Thursdays, full moon days, etc
- How Imam Al-Bukhari used to recite the Quran during the month of Ramadhaan
- Making the Taraweeh prayer shorter to make it easier for the people e.g. due to difficulty with timing (very short nights etc)
- Other types of people who are allowed to miss fasting
END OF CHAPTER reached
Important additional topics:
- Laylatul-Qadr (night of Power), when in Ramadhaan could it be (e.g. Last 10 nights, odd nights in last 10 etc?
- What is Laylatul-Qadr ?
- Itikaaf (staying in the mosque),
- what does the word mean in Arabic
- how does one perform it?
- Doing Itikaaf time intervals (e.g. full days, or for 2 hours only etc)
- What area is a person confined to during itikaaf?
- How should the Women do itikaaf?
- Scholars say there is no evidence for doing itikaaf at home
- they should do itikaaf at the masjid provided family arrangements, masjid facilities are in place and that it is safe for them
- Missing fasts due to Pregnancy
- Q and A:
- Question about menstruation and fasting
Homework for next week (last lesson insha allah): what are the FIVE Sunnah acts to do on Eid ul-Fitr?